Scope of Position
- To be a trendsetter in innovative world class personalised service whilst creating unforgettable and rare gourmet experiences
- Selects, requisitions, stores, sells, and serves wine in all food and beverage outlets. Keeps inventory and orders wine to replenish stock. Store wines properly on racks or shelves at appropriate temperatures. Discusses wines with guests and assists guests to make wine selections, applying knowledge of wines. Tastes wines prior to serving and serves wines to guests. Facilitates the training in wine knowledge for all food and beverage hosts
- Responsible for training, effective communication, department cleanliness and smooth operation of wine service in all food outlets at Soneva Jani. To be diplomatic and sincere in all situations involving any aspect of Food and Beverage or guest questioning about the property where the reputation of the resort is represented
Key Targets of Excellence
- Maintain a high and visible profile in the day to day operations by being on the floor during the service hours and checking every outlet throughout the day.
- Manage a station in the dining room by providing great wine service and taking advantage of all opportunities to increase beverage sales.
- Responsible for the proper accounting and recording of wine sales.
- Stays current with trends in the industry and creates creative wine promotions.
- Conduct and organize training and education of wines and sprit to sommeliers and F&B service hosts. This includes arranging outside consultants and suppliers who provide wine training.
- Maintain an effective relationship with your colleagues by contributing to the morale and team spirit of the resort.
- Make appropriate suggestions and recommendations to management for the general improvement of the resort.
- Maintain a high standard of personal hygiene, dress, uniform, and body language.
- Is polite and professional in any situation where the image or reputation of the resort is represented.
- Perform additional duties as directed by supervisors. These may include duties at any Soneva Resort.
- Ensure proper maintenance and cleanliness of all areas within the assigned outlet.
- Be involved in planning of promotions, beverage revenue and pricing under the supervision of the F&B Director and/or Area Head Sommelier. Ensure sanitary conditions according to health codes and hotel standards (SOP’S & PnP’s) Supervise the daily operation under standards established by the Director of Food and Beverage and hotel management.
- Define training needs and propose training programs in co-relation with service manager and continuously train subordinates to achieve highest level of professionalism.
- Ensure correct handling of equipment to minimize breakages and losses.
- Control wine inventory, variety, and costs to maintain adequate supply, quality, and profitability.
Duties and essential job functions
- To ensure that reports and administration requirements are submitted in set time, recruitments and etc.
- Keep wine cellar (private dining room) in immaculate condition, appearance and order. Make sure new deliveries are stored immediately and updated on the wine and inventory list.
- Conduct wine seminars for our guests.
- Conduct wine tastings and dinners for our guests.
- Conducts wine training sessions for F&B service hosts.
- Decant properly older vintages, with the showmanship and standards required by traditional wine service.
- Pair wines with food, recommending those that will complement the different styles of cuisine and the different methods of food preparation.
- Organize mis-en-place before every service in order to ensure proper service delivery.
- Strive to meet the target cost of sales for the operation as determined by the resort budgets.
- Requisitioning, receiving, storing and inventorying product.
- Establish proper communication with stores and financial controller to assure that all the items on the wine list and in stores are available.
- Maintain and update wine lists. Ensure wines of critical age get sold. Establish sommelier recommendation.
- Check pricing is up to date.
- To hold performance appraisals with the assistant sommelier in, identifying areas for development and training needs, and ensuring that this training is effected.
- To establish and maintain wine service policies and procedures, including service sequence, to ensure professional standards of wine service at the restaurants & bars in line with Soneva best practice.
- Attend regular meetings and briefings as directed by managers.
- To ensure that expenses are within budgeted limits.
- Ensures to be a professional middle man between management and hosts keeping in mind goals, rules and regulation and objectives.
- To behave professionally and discretely at all time, ensuring that your behaviour does not reflect negatively on the reputation of the resort/company.
- Be an exemplary role model as a manager and leader.
- Resolve all problems concerning hosts, ensuring discretion and neutrality and bringing any issues to the attention of the management.
- Ensure the minimum overtime and cancellation of days off for hosts by planning well in advance the staffing schedules for the team.
- Respect other cultures and nationalities to achieve the highest morale of the hosts by being a good role model.
- Will not have any relationship with other hosts, that is deemed inappropriate considering the local tradition and customs.
- Perform related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Work within the guidelines set by the resort and its management with respect to the environment and wellbeing of its natural resources and use all products and produce with respect and with this philosophy in mind.
- Since the tasks and sop’s are constantly evolving, it is understood that there may be some new responsibilities in the future within this position guidelines as the market keeps on mixing and growing and new ideas are implemented on a weekly basis.
- Any other duties as required by the management that are assigned to this role.
- A degree in hospitality management with previous experiences in wine service, or a hospitality certificate from a recognized hospitality university or hotel school preferred. WSET advanced certificate and certified as a Master Sommelier or equivalent.
Skills and abilities
- Creativity and design of unique wine pairing menus.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Windows and POS systems. Familiarity with Micros would be desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to interact with clients with gravitas and confidence.
- Proven leadership and management skills.
- Passion for wines and a curiosity to continue learning and developing your knowledge and skills.
- Demonstrating the ability to work independently as well as part of a team, being pro-active and self-starting in your approach to your daily tasks
- 5+ years as a Sommelier in a luxury resort/hotel or award-winning restaurant, or similar field with extensive knowledge of wines from all regions of the world.
- Extensive knowledge of wine provisioning, good purchasing and negotiation skills, proven network of relationships with wine growers and suppliers
- English fluency is essential, knowledge of other languages would be an advantage
What additional skills may this role require to stay relevant within the next 3-5 years?
Ongoing learning about new trends within your field of expertise, gaining cross exposure within the resort kitchens to fully appreciate the unique and ever-changing culinary offerings in order to deliver unique wine experiences for our guests.